Fiestaguides.co.uk Forum Index Fiestaguides.co.uk
The Ultimate Mk3 Ford Fiesta Modification and Guide Resource

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MK4/MK5 Zetec Radiator/Fan Replacement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fiestaguides.co.uk Forum Index -> Write a guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtbdean
RS 1800

1998 Ford Fiesta LX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: MK4/MK5 Zetec Radiator/Fan Replacement. Reply with quote

Before doing anything, be sure that the engine has cooled down and the fluid is cool (I would suggest 12hrs cooling down)

What I did was disconnect the positive on the battery, as i have a habit of forgetting, and switching the engine on (and with no cooling is a bad idea!)

Remove your grille by pulling it up.
Remove your Lights by using a Torx key or 7mm Socket (As mine was a socket)
Disconnect the wiring from your Lights and Remove.
Optional: Remove your Front Bumper (13mm Socket and Phillips Screwdriver)

Next you need to drain all fluid from the cooling system, which involves draining the radiator. Place a large bowl at the bottom right hand side of the radiator. In the bottom Right of the radiator (Standing at the Front of the Car) Is a Cross Head Shaped Rubber Plug. Unscrew this Fully until the water comes out.

Once all water has drained from Radiator you will need to undo all the rubbers. These can either be Metal Rings or Jubillee Clips. Undo all 4 of these. (Top Right-Large/Bottom Left-Large/Middle Left-Medium/Top Right-Small)

Pull each of the rubbers away from the radiator when all the clips are undone.

Next you will have to unplug the Radiator Fan, there is a large plastic plug on the right side of the fan which simply pulls out.

Now, on each of the chassis leg on the left and right, there is a shaped panel. Which looks like a stretched U shape. This will have to be removed so the radiator can be removed. (Use 3rd Pair Of Hands)

Remove 1 of the 2 10mm Bolts on each side. (These may need a squirt of WD-40) Remove the Two Electrical Plugs on the right hand side, by prising with a flathead screwdriver

Now remove the rest of the 10mm Bolts on each side (Make 3rd Hand hold this panel so it doesnt fall on you!)

Once panel is free, the unit will just drop and can be removed from under the car.

Turn the Unit (Fan Radiator and Panel) Upside down so the radiator can be removed, and also the Fan unit can. The Fan unit requires a bit of prising to get out of the panel.

Now the 3 pieces are separated, you can clean them up.
The U shaped panel can be ''derusted" and Hammerited like i did.

Now to replace it is harder than removing it!

First you need to replace the radiator and Fan unit on the Panel.

You then need to use the 3rd hand to line up the fan and radiator to the top slam panel (Where the VIN plate is)

Then you need to replace the panel by lining up the holes on the chassis leg and screw the 4 bolts in (2 each side)

Replace all the Hoses except the top right side. Do all the clips very tight, as the radiator can be under high pressure.

Next you need to unscrew the expansion bottle (Top Left Engine Bay).

Check all the hoses are tight (Except the top right hose) and the rubber plug (Bottom Right) is tight.

Now you need to fill the radiator with water. This is done using a Funnel of some kind into the radiator (Top Right)

Once this is filled, you need to fill the Expansion bottle to the Minimum Mark.

Now you can reconnect the battery, Radiator Fan and expansion Bottle cap.

Select the Hottest heat, circulating around the car on the 4th Setting.

Now switch the engine on and keep watching the radiator bottle so that if it runs too low, you can top it up.

(Advisable, Run some Anti Freeze + Radiator Leak Preventor into the water when filling as i did.)

When the engine has ran for 10mins. Stop the engine and check the hoses are still flexible (if not there is air in the system and you will have to drain the radiator and start again).

Replace Lights, Bumper and Grille (Reversal of Above)

When you next take the car for a drive, carry a bottle of water with you and check the water for a final time.

Happy Motoring

I (mtbdean) Does not take Responsibility for any damage caused to yourself or your Vehical.

Dean Charles 2009.
davedarave89
TheBirdIsTheWord

1998 Ford Fiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what i will be needing Razz good guide m8 Cool

110 BHP, 260Nm Torque!
mtbdean
RS 1800

1998 Ford Fiesta LX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost me a 5er for the grille
steve1127

2001 Ford Fiesta Zetec Sport

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PICS PICS PICS PICS Laughing

Fiestaguides.co.uk South Yorkshire Rep
POST WHORE OF 2009!
Founder Of The Furry Dice Party
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fiestaguides.co.uk Forum Index -> Write a guide All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: